Oil light comes on 94 850

I recently purchased a 1994 non-turbo 850. It has plenty of oil in it, but the oil light comes on frequently--it kind of flickers on and off while I'm driving, and at other times it behaves and just stays off. Any idea as to what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
caaron

Could be the sensor itself or the wire leading from it intermittently shorting to ground.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

Well, sorry to say this, but...you could have worn main bearings, a big but not too big job, or any number of other internal engine parts worn enough to open up the clearances and cause a drop in oil pressure. Oil pumps wear out too, however the first step is to take the oil pressure sending unit out and put a gauge in it's place and see if the engine has enough pressure.

By the way the sending units fail too and if that's the case the whole job should be less then 100 bucks.

are you using the correct weight oil btw?

Reply to
Steve n Holly

The car performs well but I will do an oil pressure check on it. The previous owner mentioned that the problem with the light started when he had the engine seals replaced, and that he thought they may have shorted the wire when they did the seals. I am using the proper oil viscosity, so that isn't the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chuck

Reply to
caaron

There is also a problem with the 'O' ring where the oil pickup is which if it is leaking will cause the pump to suck air (and that will cause low pressure). Might be worth checking there too?

Reply to
AB

Thanks, that is a good suggestion. I did have an oil pressure check done, and the oil pressure is fine.

Chuck

Reply to
caaron

If the OP is good then the sending unit is my guess as the problem point.

Reply to
Steve n Holly