'87 740 gle compressor replacement cost?

thanks for all those who replied to my initial question about a missing v-belt for the compressor.

so when i went to check the compressor to see if it turned by hand, and lo and behold, it didn't. from the replies to my earlier post, i'm guessing that the bearing seazed up and threw the belt.

now, for a couple more question... how easy is it to replace the unit myself? i know i would have to change the dryer (with a dessicant in it) when i replace the compressor. i can find reconditioned compressors for about $280. keep in mind that the extent of my engine working has been changing plugs, oil/filter, and cap/rotor/wires. i've changed rear shocks before on my jetta, but with a help from my friend.

second question. if i decide that the job requires too much skills that i don't have, i've gotten a quote to get the whole job done for $576 (all inclusive of tax, new refridgerant, dessicant, and labor). i think i get 1 year warranty with that. is that a reasonable quote?

thanks in advance, jun

Reply to
golgo13

You can take a chance and replace just the clutch. I paid $150 for a clutch assembly (at a Checker Auto) and replaced it myself - no messing with the refrigerant. The bearing is part of the clutch assembly. But be advised, the compressor lasted only one year after replacing the clutch. I paid the dealer $1100 a decade ago to convert the system to R-134a, but the cooling is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If it were just the clutch, it would still rotate by hand, the compressor itself is not difficult to turn. What happens though is the clutch siezes and then causes the compressor to run, if the system is dry then it runs without lube and also siezes up which is what has apparently happened here.

If you can do the work yourself, you should be able to get a used compressor for around $30 at a U-pull yard, it's a bit of a crapshoot but if you live in a climate like mine, the AC compressors normally have relatively few hours on them. I wouldn't bother with a used one in a place like Texas or Florida.

The quote you got sounds pretty reasonable for the whole works.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's easy enough to check while the belt is off. If the clapper can be rotated by hand (with normal compressor drag) while the pulley can't, it's the bearing in the clutch. If the clapper can't be moved at all, the compressor is seized. I've had a couple bearings seize, but never had a clutch seize clapper-to-pulley.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've been watching eBay and there are some for decent prices, like $192.00 new. I can't vouch for any of these sellers, but here they are:

golgo13 wrote:

Reply to
Jamie