tuning a 740 GLE

Hi I'm a newbie to the group so please excuse me if I ask a question that everyone is sick of.

So here it is, my lad has just bought a 1987 740 GLE with teh B230F engine. The car is a typical Volvo and largely in good condition having done 180000 miles and one could say that the car is well used but comfortable mechanically. She does sound a little rough on idle and also uses a fair amount of fuel, somewhere in the low twenties. Does it make any sense to start getting the injectors cleaned and the valves set and all that kind of thing or will the investment just not be justified.

Or put it another way what work would the panel recommend doing to the old girl?

Cheers

Tom

Reply to
740GLE

If that is in-town driving it really isn't out of line for that motor. On the road you should get close to 28-30mpg.

How long to you plan on owning the car and what kind of driving will you be doing.

Is there a reason you are focusing on cleaning the injectors and setting the valves?

If it were my car I would replace all the basic stuff...plugs, ignition wiring, air cleaner, oil and filter, fuel filter, replace the flame trap, replace hoses belts and coolant then see how it runs.

Reply to
hjsjms

Welcome!

Have a look at this to get started:

Jamie

1987 740 GLE B230F 199,450 miles

740GLE wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

In addition to the comments from the Brickboard FAQs I would adjust the valves. The intakes in particular wear tight and can burn. They should be checked every 30K miles anyway as per the service manual. As far as injector cleaning, one of the best cleaners is Chevron Techron Fuel Injection System Concentrate (a bottle here is around $12.00) and is simply added to the tank. It does its best work on short trip low speed driving around. Add it just before and oil change, run through that tank of fuel then change the oil. There will be a lot of soot in the oil from the backs of valve and piston tops. Same goes for BG 44K but don't think they export to England.

Bob

Reply to
User