88' 760 Turbo buyer tips

I'm thinking of buying an 88' 760 Turbo and was wondering if anyone has any good tips to look out for. For it's age the body is quite good, there are a few rust bubbles but aside from that it's very clean. It's got 278,000km on it, went through my basic check list and everything is functional. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?

Thanx in advance,

Norbert

Reply to
Norbert Ricafort

Did these have the old vacuum operated climate control? If so check to make sure that works, it can be a real pain. If the AC is dead that's fairly easy to fix, but it's hard to find anyone who's familiar with the ACC. Also how's the headliner? I just got done doing it on a 740 sedan, I don't think I've ever muttered so many expletives in one go in my entire life, that job is

*NO* fun in a sedan.
Reply to
James Sweet

As a 1989 Volvo Turbo owner . . about the only tip I can give is-

"Don't buy it."

I have had a replalcement turbo and faulty air conditioning/ventaltion.These can keep you actively removing cash from your wallet. Not to mention the frustration.

If the AC shuts down you could lose ventalation entirely until the A/C is fixed. The turbo model has pep when it works and crawls like a turtle if it fails (not uncommon).

High pressure hoses connected to the turbo (sometimes be difficult to locate, depending on your vicinity or supplier) are a nice addition to breaking your piggy bank.

Now that FORD is involved- older Volvos don't always have the resources that once were availble.

Other than that . . . nice driving car . . . I love it . . . when it works.

Gar

Reply to
Surfer_2

How many miles were on the car when the turbo died? They do fail occasionally, particularly if not maintained meticulously, but they're pretty solid when taken care of. My '87 has 260k miles on it now and other than a problem with warping brake rotors that I finally solved and having to redo the headliner it's been a superb car, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone.

Ford ownership doesn't mean anything, it's foolish to go to the dealer in the first place unless you need some oddball part that you absolutely can't get anywhere else.

Reply to
James Sweet