'92 240 Wheel bearings

Hello,

I plan on replacing the front wheel bearings on a 240 GL soon. I have the Chilton's manual, but it's not too helpful. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

What does the bearing ride on? Directly on the spindle, or is there some type of replaceable surface I should know about and inspect?

The book says special tools are required, but the only thing special mentioned is a drift to drive new races into the hub. Anything else I should have that they forgot to put in? And is there any reason I can't just carefully drive the new races in with a hammer and a big socket?

If I'm careful, can a screwdriver be used to knock out the old races instead of a brass punch? If I mess up with a screwdriver, what's the worse that will happen - I need a new hub?

And finally, are the hub and rotor one integrated piece?

Thanks a lot. This is the first work I'm doing on this car, and the first time I've done wheel bearings, so I'm kinda aprehensive about it. I'd rather find out now that it's beyond my abilities and I can drive to a shop than find out when the car is all apart and needs to be towed.

Reply to
sean.m.cunningham

Answered in line.

The caged tapered roller bearing inner race slides over the spindle. The inner and outer are differen sizes. The larger fits on the inner side of the hub the smaller on the outer.

The outer races are a snug press fit and although can easily drive them out with a punch it's harder to drive them in without slipping off the narrow edge of the race. It's also possible to chip the race while driving it in when using a steel drift or punch so wear safety glasses when hammering. It's also possible to slip and damage the bearing surface. You need grease to pack the new bearings, the inner grease seal, bearing retainer and a new cotter pin.

See above

No

Reply to
User

I use the old race to drive in the new one. Line up skinny edge to skinny edge and wack the wide side of the old race... ymmv.

Reply to
Clay