95 850 front axles

Have had to replace both front axles in the past four months, Boots were torn open. Started to get clunking noise on the right one. 95 850 turbo wagon with 115,000. Is this kind of early for this problem? Replaced them with remanufactured. $165 vs $325.

Reply to
PK

No, my boots ripped at about that time. I bought a boot/grease kit and did the left one myself, and by the time the right one went, the engine needed a new rear seal, so I had the dealer replace the right side boots while they hand the engine out. The joints are sttill in good shape.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

Well, I have a 97 850 and just had to replace the right front axle with boot torn open and the occasional clunking noise. 75,000 mi.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1973

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

The issue here is the boots, not the joints themselves. The front CV joints are some of the hardest-working parts on your car, and they're absolutely intolerant of grit and water in their grease pack. Once the boots were torn, it was just a matter of time before the joints went out. But with Volvo's tight turning radius, the boots get a worked hard too. The trick it so keep and eye on them, and have them replaced (and the joints cleaned and repacked) as soon they start to look like they're going to crack. Keep a CV joint clean, and it'll last like the rest of a Volvo does.

Cheers, Walt

Reply to
WJ