'96 850 Wagon - fan/air vent noise?

When I first turn on the window defroster or heating on very cold days there is a high pitched whine (almost like a whistling kettle) that comes from the front passanger air vent. It only happens when the fans are on full.

Is this common? Is there a fix? Maybe spraying wd-40 into the vent hoping to hit the fan? Seems like a long shot.

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry
[Atif I. Chaudhry] (Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:04:31 -0500):

You'll regret that ;)

You need to get out the fan housing. Remove the cover under the glove compartment.. You'll see the fan housing.. On the middle of it, there is a screw. Unscrew it and put some WD-40 in there. Put the screw back in. This has worked for a year on mine :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

Yes, POS fan is making the noise.

That will not work.

Disassembling the dash area under the glove box to get at the fan and lubricating it's bearings might work.

Here is a good link about how to get in there. I followed the instructions and they worked well for me:

John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks...actually I've noticed that it doesn't make that sounds anymore.... I need to check if air is still blowing.

Either it fixed itself, or it broke!

-Atif

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry