can I sell my Volvo here?

Hello everyone,

would anyone object if I tried to sell my Volvo on this newsgroup - I am unsure of the rules and I do not want to upset anyone. Thanks Jan

Reply to
Jan Clifford

Go For It, "almost" everyone here enjoys having first dibs on a nice Volvo for sale from an individual. Make sure to include your location. If you have any pictures just post the link to them instead of posting them here. Binaries still slow down some of those who are still on dialup. Jack In Dallas

Reply to
Jack in Dallas

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'd think the best way would be to set up a nice little website somewhere like Homestead (free) with pics, description and an email link. Then you could just post a link and those interested could click through. It is also nice to put the link in print ads so people can see what they will be looking at, keeps the lookyloo traffic down.

My last ISP stripped binaries from groups that were not specifically for them, not sure but I think Cox does the same thing. Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 18X,XXX 1985 240 Ti 20X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 12K
Dave Shannon

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Jack in Dallas:

You are quite right to say post a link to a website; never post a binary to a non-binary group.

It is not really to do with dialup speed, though - that is only of immediate consequence to yourself. It is because you will flood the world's usenet servers and newsfeeds with stuff that is 100, or maybe

1000 times bigger than a text only post.

Many of the world's smaller news servers have a tough time keeping up with the growing demands of a text only service and cannot carry the alt.binary groups; misplaced binaries can be a real problem to them. Remember that there are places in the world other than America or Europe, where afluence makes it relatively easy to keep up with the growing demands of newsfeeds. Many servers on the usenet network are small, unfunded and noncomercial. It is also worth noting, that while the internet is nowadays the main way of conveying newsfeeds, it is not the only way.

Usenet is not like the web, where you can publish and image, sound or video file onto your own server, just occupying space there, and have people come and download from there. Nor is it like email, where you post an attachment to a limited number of recipients, who delete it from their server when they receive it. Usenet messages get propogated to, and eventually occupy space on, nearly every other news server around the world. A few inappropriate binaries could cause havoc.

And it doesn't end there; there are many people who seem unwilling to snip huge amounts of irrelevant text when replying to a newsgroup message (don't get me started on the top posting offenders who don't even realise they're doing it) - a single such reply to a message containing a binary would double the amount of space and bandwidth that the original binary used.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav