960 front suspension bushes

My '95 960 (2.5 l straight 6) has just failed its annual MOT inspection for front suspension rubber bush wear on the lower arm. Anyone fixed these before? I've never had to work on the 960 suspension before.

Do I replace arms, or just bushes? How much effort are the bushes to press-out / press-in? Anything else that's going to need replacement, just for breaking whenever I go near it? Just how much suspension do I need to dismantle to get to this stuff?

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Are these the cone shaped bushings on the control rods? If so, then you don't need any special tools to replace them, just unbolt the rods and change the bushings. If it's any of the others, you'll need to press them, I've had success with a large bench vise and some creativity.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've changed the cone shaped ones, mostly easy but the metal parts of the bush had rusted into the arm and needed chipped out. makes a nice improvement to the steering feel.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

I forget sometimes that cars rust in some areas, that can be a real pain. Some P'Blaster usually helps loosen up rusted parts.

If Volvo had made cars out of stainless steel they'd last 100 years.

Reply to
James Sweet

This might help.

Mr. V

The Austin 'Big Healey' was made with a stainless steel body. It also rusted - electrolytic corrosion from the body being used as the ground circuit...

Reply to
Leftie