1972 Ford Courier clutch help?

Truck has 30,000 orig miles,had truck since 26,000 miles,clutch went bad. Did not resurface flywheel,just new clutch disc and got about 1000 miles outta it. Resurfaced flwheel,remanufactured clutch and pressure plate installed-clutch lasted 2000 miles. Still see swirls on flywheel and clutch disc looks new,Did I get a faulty pressure plate??? Is there anywhere to find flywheel thickness specs when new?Should I go with a higher end $$$ clutch and pressure plate?The old one I believe is a Sachs clutch kit?????TIA.....Bud

Reply to
sixtyfnsix

Just a thought...there might be a wobble of the plate...berrings maybe (throw) or didnt use alignment tool to insure full insertion of assy when mounting.

Again just a thought Henry

Reply to
Henry B Jobin

That is possible. What are the symptoms when it goes bad?

Reply to
Hairy

Hairy,When they go bad I can accelerate,can tell rpm increases are doin nothing to actual mph.(slippage) Within a hundred miles or so of this I can let out clutch and no forward or reverse motion at all. Quite frustrating,maybe i'll try one of those pricey clutch kits that have 80% more "pressure"???? Thanks for your input...Bud

Reply to
Bud

Is there any unusual noise like maybe the throw-out bearing still in contact with the pressure plate when the clutch is released? Assuming your clutch isn't hydraulic, you should have at least 1/2 inch free travel at the pedal with the engine running at 3000rpm's.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Dave, No unusual noises and everything seems to be operating smoothly. It is hydraulic and all those components were replaced also..... Could the machinist have done something wrong when resurfacing flywheel? He told me that when they are resurfaced too many times a "shim" is needed between the motor and the flywheel but I cant believe this is the case,flywheel is only 30,000 miles old and 1 resurfacing that I know of. As I recall,when the pressure plate was installed there was about 1/2 inch gap from hand tight and flush to completely tight to the flywheel Bud

Reply to
Bud

I don't know much about hyd. clutch actuators, I'm more old school. I doubt that you need to shim the flywheel. The only other thing I can think of would be to make sure the clutch disc is put in correctly. They often are marked which side goes against the flywheel. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else will take up the slack. In any case, let us know what you find out.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy