Clutch slipping '95 Camry

The clutch seems to be slipping on my son's '95 Camry 4 cyl. Actually, it runs and drives mostly OK under normal conditions, but if you step on the gas pedal hard, the clutch slips. I understand that the clutch is hydraulic and thus not adjustable. The car had always been dealer serviced and they never found/indicated any problems. Does anyone out there have any insight into this? Is this just a fluid thing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
7wing

I'd look more to the clutch disk and pressure plate than the hydraulics. Friction material may have just worn out. The less one slips the clutch during use, the longer it will last.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

hydraulic

The only adjustable part, is the clutch pedal free-play. It is usually necessary to adjust this.

Apart from the clutch plate (sometimes referred to as the 'friction-plate') being simply worn out, you can test to see if there is free-play problems by measuring how movement the clutch pedal has before it loads-up against the clutch-master cylinder. Should be approx 1/2 to 1". Also check the throw-out lever for free-play. This is a measure of how far the clutch slave-cylinder (is in plain view on the front of the gearbox-bell/clutchhousing) actuating pin moves before the release bearing touches the pressure-plate fingers. This play or travel is small, typically less than 1/2".

In most cases, if there is a fault in the master-cylinder or low fluid, the clutch becomes hard to disengage rather than slipping.

As an emergency measure,he best way to save what little lining is left on the clutch-plate, is to drive more sedately, using a lower gear rather than increasing throttle in top or o/drive. The formulae for power is 'torque multiplied by RPM'. It is the torque or twisting power which causes a worn cltch to slip rather than revs.

Jason

At that

Reply to
Jason James