99 S70 airconditioner recharge

My a/c is not cold and I would like to recharge it. I thought this would be a simple procedure because everyone does it but I am learning that is not true with a Volvo. I went to several local auto part stores and no one knows how to recharge the a/c on my volvo. I am being told I have to take it to the dealer. I understand that there is a high and low side and you recharge by the low side. However, no can seem to find a low side on my volvo and I have even asked several friends who are mechanics.

If I have to take it to the dealer then I will, but before I do that I want to make sure that I can't do it on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Becky

Reply to
becko

The filling point is placed on a pipe between the power steering and the right headlight.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

And the cap over the filler valve has "Max 8 Nm" on it. And there is only a low side valve, the high pressure can only be read via a scan tool. And while often the systems are low on refrigerant, the only way to make sure the system is properly charged is to evacuate it completely and install a weighed amount.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for all the info, this is what I thought but wanted to get a second opinion.

Reply to
becko

OK, I can see the filler valve, so how do you evacuate the system, and how much are you supposed to put in?

J.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

You fill in between 750-850 grams of R134, the exact amount can be seen on a sticker on the right fender. You need a special vacuum pump to evacuate the system and afterwards to fill in the right amount, only a workshop has that.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

The exact amount is indicated on a sticker somewhere under the hood. (On my '98 S and V70s, the amount is 750 grams.) Often folks just buy the diy cans from auto parts stores and add one to whatever is remaining. If the air is still not cold, and the a/c clutch is still cycling quickly they add another.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for all the help, I got mine filled and the air is cold again. It was very easy.

Becky

Reply to
becko

"becko" wrote: > My a/c is not cold and I would like to recharge it. I thought > this > would be a simple procedure because everyone does it but I am > learning > that is not true with a Volvo. I went to several local auto > part stores > and no one knows how to recharge the a/c on my volvo. I am > being told I > have to take it to the dealer. I understand that there is a > high and > low side and you recharge by the low side. However, no can > seem to find > a low side on my volvo and I have even asked several friends > who are > mechanics. > > If I have to take it to the dealer then I will, but before I > do that I > want to make sure that I can't do it on my own. Any help would > be > greatly appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Becky

I have the same problem with my 2000 s70, I can?t find the fill cap on this model. I see a long silver fin mounted on top of the manifold with a blue cap on the right side (looking at the motor); would this be the fill cap?

David

Reply to
Duckw

Sounds like you're describing the spot to attach a gauge to measure fuel pressure. Other posts in this thread describe the appearance and location of the A/C port.

Reply to
Mike F