Bendix or Girling?

Hi Volvo 940 GL 2.0 1991 Estate UK, car has started to make a horrible noise under braking. Intermittent, not always. Comes from Passenger side front, took the wheel off last night, outside of disc looks good, pad this side has almost the thickness of a cd case on it. Shone the touch down the back of the disc and there are two grooves deep enough to be class as the mid Atlantic ridge! Pad on the back of the disc is riding flat against the disc, no material I could see!!!

Two things

1) Has anyone go any idea of what caused this? I bought the car last October, not service carried out yet. 2) the GSF parts book say I need to know if the braking system is Bendix or Girling, but does not advise me how to tell the difference.

Disc Diameter is 285mm.

Hope someone can give me some help here.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Alex Zepeda

Ok.

The noise is caused by loss of the friction material. This is normal under usage and will happen time and again. How often it happens depends on driving style, usage, pad material, etc etc but expect minimum 10,000 miles between pads up to 40-50,000 miles at the top end.

As for how to identify which it is, most calipers will have the makers name cast or stamped somewhere on the body of the caliper - try looking there.

Reply to
AB

Thank you for your advice

Reply to