Anyone deal with Hamilton's in Guelph, ON?

Hi all,

Like the subject says, I'm wondering if anyone's dealt with Hamilton's before? (They're a Volvo wrecker and claim to have something like Volvo 1400 wrecks on the lot).

I need some body work done and the body guy suggested I try find a whole new door rather than get them doing the labor. I called Hamilton's and they quoted me $150 for a door but they do the picking/pulling. Anyone ever buy anything from them? Can they be relied on to pick the right parts and in good condition etc?

It's a pretty long drive for a longshot so any testimonials before I commit myself to the trip would help.

Thanks in advance, blurp

Reply to
blurp

They weren't very helpfull in trying to locate a radio for me, I ended up just going to a normal scrapyard. Hamilton's wanted me to buy a refurb unit for $350 or so - same price as the Volvo dealer.

They might be better for what you want to do, but the shot didn't look particularly good, poorly lit and dirty - I wouldn't take our 960 there.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If you are in The Hamilton ON area you may want to try Jonathon's Swedish car repair (905 547-4400) they also sell used parts and the have helped me in the past.

RZ

Reply to
Rob Z

Hamiltons was a much better place before the son took it over. It's a sprawling mess, and for some reason they are less-than-enthusiastic about your business. And they charge way too much. But, they do have many many cars. Probably 1400 is about right. Last time I was there was a Sunday morning; no dog, no gate, no cameras, not a soul around. I could have taken anything I wanted. I didn't...but I could have. They are pretty slack. Do with that what you will.

RS

Rob Z wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

I've called them a bunch of times for prices, $150 for a door seems CHEAP from them!! I called to ask about a trailer hitch for my 760, they wanted $150, but a new aftermarket unit is $165 with the draw bar and all the hardware was included.... so which one do you think I bought?!?!? hehehe. I wanted an aftermarket one anyhow, cuz the Volvo OE hitch is some weird looking thing that if you loose that draw bar, you MUST get the Volvo type to fit it, mine is a Class 2 (1 1/4 square bar).

(mine is made by Draw-Tite, typically retails for $195 Cnd)

Another thing I called for was rear springs from a 740, I had Nivomats and changed them to KYB, the rear end sagged, so I called 'em up, $75 each (still not too bad, plus I could have got ones from a wagon for my sedan, mine is non IRS). Anyhow, I ended up buying a set of springs on the Danforth from Peter (some small old Volvo shop) for a mere $60 for the pair, both in great shape (mine actually had a cracked lower spring, guess they get rusty sitting in the perch).

Dom's Auto Parts have a few Volvos kicking around, from 240s-850s. And on occasion, Standard Auto Wreckers has some Volvos that are great parts finds (except you pick your own parts).

But for $150 for a door, that is quite decent!!!!

I've heard good things about Hamilton's though, I'm sure they'll let you "pick" the door you want. Also, they told me they had 800 cars, unless they just had a major crapload of wrecks come in over the winter ;).

Reply to
Myron Samila

I thought $150 for a door was pretty reasonable. Keep in mind my car's an '83 so maybe there isn't much demand for parts that old. I've noticed small changes over the years so doors from 1983 might only have a narrow window of applicability.

I have also called them for other parts but found them to be asking only a little less than one might pay for a new part.

One thing I'm not sure about: my doors are rusty but otherwise they work well, all the interior parts (power locks, power windows, speakers) are functioning well...is the door likely to be just stripped out metal and then all those parts extra? I hope so, otherwise I'd be buying parts I don't need or want.

Clearly I've never bought anything from a wrecker.

Cheers, Blurp

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:30:25 -0400, the illustrious "Myron Samila" favored us with the following prose:

OE hitch is

changed them to

Reply to
blurp

Generally used doors are sold complete for collision repair. Often when a door needs to be replaced for this reason, the parts inside are damaged as well, or very hard to remove.

Reply to
Mike F