Anyone ever had to repair leather seats?

My 1991 780 has a problem where the seam is starting to split on the exact same spot on the front leather seats. The split is 6 inches or less but I would like to nip it in the bud so to speak before the problem gets worse. The rest of the seat on both of them looks just fine and both have held up fairly well, so instead of just getting some seat cover to hide the problem I would rather try to salvage them now before it gets worse.

Has anyone here had a similar problem, and if so what are my options?

thanks CTV

Reply to
Cartrivision1

I've repaired a cloth to leather seam in a 740 seat, you take the upholstery off and sew it from the back side, it's not too difficult.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is it a split right through, like a tear?

One option is to glue a piece of leather from the underside to provide a bridge across the gap.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

If it is a sewn seam that is splitting then the cover should be removed from the ceat and resewn from the inside. If you can't do that you can take it to any upholstry shop or remove the cover and take it to a seamstress. be sure that they are using a rayon thread made for upholstry and not cotton thread. Have them sew all the seams while in there.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

a friend of mine happens to mark his seat with a cigar burn, what he did was to take it to an upholsterer and seamed a new leather-like cloth on the seat. the end product was good though.

Reply to
heavyonmetal

there's a repair manual available for 780 models at

it's on the accessory products. i think it will help you with some your replairs/car maintenance.

Reply to
heavyonmetal