Anyone sell '89 740 mirror without housing?

I'm looking for a passenger side mirror glass for my 1989 Volvo 740. I can only find entire mirror assemblies. Anyone sell just the removable mirror part?

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

I wasn't aware it was removeable, how did you get it out?

Mirrors are only 10 bucks at the yards around here, seems like it'd be easier to just get the whole thing.

Reply to
James Sweet

IIRC, the mirror is held in with some sort of adhesive. It is removed by coaxing a fine piano wire behind the glass and sliding it and working it to cut the adhesive. The big questions are whether the replacement power mechanism works and whether the paint matches.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

In the bottom center of the mirror there is an access hole. To disenegage the pins use a small screw driver to enage the notches perpendicular to the mirro glas and lever it to one side or the other, it will only go one way. Then use a steady pull to separate the double stick tape from the mounting ring on the gimble. Mirror glasses are available from the dealer parts department. Not outrageously expensive.

Bob

Reply to
User

It's glued to a rubber sheet. The adhesive does not survive a Southern Arizona summer. 3M double-sided foam tape works just fine, if you can catch it before you lose the mirror.

Reply to
jmcgill

That's how the mirror comes out. Very easy. :)

There's a yard quite a ways away from me, which I can check out. I was just wondering why I hadn't seen them on sale online anywhere, only the entire mirror housing.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher