Buying 850 5sp - general questions

Yes and one way to burn out the clutch pretty damn quick. Remember this is a friction plate surface, not a hydraulic torque converter as on an automatic.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The rear main seal is a weak point. Cheap part., expensive to get to.

has a lot of volvo stuff.

as well.

As for radios, try ebay

Jeff Lesperance

If you had been taught properly you would realise why it is a "no-no" to hold a car stationary with out the brake.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Hold on, you're forgetting Newton's Laws of motion here, remember a body : > at rest will remain at rest unless another force acts upon it! :) : >

: > So, it's ok to not use either brake when stationary as long as you're : > not on a hill and not smacked up the arse by some low life. One you can : > plan for, the other can be a little harder. ;) : >

: > David. : >

: : That is what I've always thought. Unless you are on a hill, why would : you need either brake to be on? Even if you are no a hill, you should : be able to use your clutch and the gas to keep the car stationary : without the brake.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

I really should have clarified that statement...

*I know it is bad to hold a car stationary without using the brake.*

My point, which I didn't make clear, was that even on a hill, in theory, you don't need to use the brake to hold the car still. I didn't mean to suggest that this would be be a normal/good thing to do, just that it is possible.

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

Certainly it is possible, I was just making reference to the fact that in good driving circles it is frowned upon.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Cheers, Peter. : >

: > : > Hold on, you're forgetting Newton's Laws of motion here, remember a body : > : > at rest will remain at rest unless another force acts upon it! :) : > : >

: > : > So, it's ok to not use either brake when stationary as long as you're : > : > not on a hill and not smacked up the arse by some low life. One you can : > : > plan for, the other can be a little harder. ;) : > : >

: > : > David. : > : >

: > : : > : That is what I've always thought. Unless you are on a hill, why would : > : you need either brake to be on? Even if you are no a hill, you should : > : be able to use your clutch and the gas to keep the car stationary : > : without the brake. : >

: >

Reply to
Peter Milnes