Buying a 740

My son is thinking about buying a 1986 740 turbo with 126,000 miles on it.....asking price is $1700... I went with him to look at the car and it started up nice but has somewhat of a lousy idle...it will idle at 750 and go up to 1000 for a few seconds and drop back to 1000 and feels like a miss while idleing....but it sounds good when you rev it up... We haven't taken it for a test drive yet because I wanted to get the group thoughts on this car....buy or pass?.....I have a 93 940 turbo with 179,000 miles on it and runs like a dream....

Reply to
Michael Rose

Buy it, then give the inlet tract (from filter to manifold including Idle Air Control Valve) a thorough cleanup then reset throttle switch if necessary.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

The idle problem is probably a cracked vacuum line or a dirty IAC valve or throttle body, none are too difficult to take care of. Price depends entirely on cosmetic condition at this point, the mechanical stuff can always be fixed. I suggest having a mechanic look it over if you're unsure.

Reply to
James Sweet

Probably different in other places but 86 was the year leaded petrol cars ceased sales here. Right now lead replacement petrol is drying up and many don't run quite as nicely on unleaded or even premium unleaded. That's part of the reason pre '87 cars are dropping in price quite quickly. Some good value I reckon.

Reply to
jg

Assuming he's in the USA this won't be an issue, Volvos here were all made for unleaded since at least 1975.

Reply to
James Sweet