check engine light '99 s-70

the check engine light keeps coming on in my '99 s-70

been to dealer, but no solution.

what possible things can cause this.

have checked gas cap don't see anything loose under hood

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

But have you tried replacing it?

Reply to
Marvin

What do you mean - "been to dealer, but no solution"? What were the fault codes? It could be all sorts of things. One common failure with those engines that will trigger the check engine light are failed oxygen sensors.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Yes, the oxygen sensors can indeed cause this problem, as I found out.

Mine was accompanied by the "emission service required" light, as well.

See my post on the 99 S80 issues I had with these, and hold on to your wallet if you plan on having the dealer replace these; mine ran almost

1800.00 to replace all 4 sensors on my S80, and it took three trips to get it done completely.

(Two failed, then supposedly the other two failed...)

Of course mine may have just been an isolated incident and not typical of most S80's from that year.

Reply to
vinran1

I know there are advantages to using the dealer, however o2 sensors are $170 each at Auto Zone and they are mode by Bosch, same folks who make the one in that volvo box.

680 plus say 2 or 3 hrs time for diag and r&r (70/hr) and say a 25% parts mark up is well under 1100. Volvos use a common fuel injection system and any skilled techs who work on VW's or many Japanese cars have the skills and equipment to dx a volvo too, to say nothing of BMW, Benz or Saab shops.

The independants also have no easy income from new customers, so they need to make you happy first time every time. In addition the dealer tends not to see older and less well maintained cars then dealer techs making an indy a better place for old car repair--IMHO.

Look for a place that a guy (or woman) owns where S/He is there very day either wrenching or in the office. Nice NAPA or certs from whatever place insure nohing, but a shop that has a constant and changing flow of cars of a complexity of at theast a Volvo (new VW at a minimum I would think, or loads of older rice burners) seems like a good bet to me.

Talk to the people, see if they like what they do, if they see a dificult job as a mystery to figure out, a game rather then a headache.

YMMV

Reply to
Steve