D5 engine tuning / chipping ?

Can anyone tell me if the D5 engine is reliable enough to do any tuning / chipping to and retain reliability ? If so, how far can it be taken before reliability starts to become an issue.

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

A friend of mine recently ran an S60 D5 (163) upto 120k miles in just under

2 yrs from new. He fitted a TuningBox to it a month after purchase, which claimed around 190bhp and 400nm torque.

It was certinaly a brutally quick machine then. Mpg increased to around 45, from 42 and it chucked no smoke out either before or after the 'box. It was more drivable with the box fitted- off boost lethargy was reduced, and it spooled up faster and more progressively, and was much happier to spin to the red line when you wanted.

These engine are renown for needing replacement injectors at around the

90k-100k mark and this one certainly did, but the car went back to the leasing company and was probably disposed of at auction. - Symptoms are poor and rattlely / misfiring when started from cold, and less refinement than it should have.

As a result of the chip, I would say there were no problems with the powertrain / clutch etc.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Excellent - thanks Tim