Dead Battery / Relay problem?

Few days ago driving my Volvo 98 V40 T4 and I noticed the A/c was on permanently whether the switch was on or off and car felt very sluggish. When I got home, opened the fuse box/which also holds relays and trying to check the compressor relay, noticed it clicked constantly when removing it. Figured it was faulty but had other uregent things to do so left it to look at later. Yesterday, I go to start the car and battery is as dead as dead - no lights, nothing. Called local road service who started it and when I pointed out the A/c was on permanently suggested I get it checked. I removed relay and swapped with headlight relay which is the same and lights went on with switch off so the relay is definately faulty. Should I check anything else?

My question is could the relay be the reason the battery was drained? It (the battery) is just over a year old and have just returned from a

900km round trip so should be quite charged.

thanks in advance..

Reply to
John Smith

So if you put the good relay into the a/c position does it work normally? Check this then you will know for sure if one relay is dud.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Reply to
John Smith