Double checking headliner thickness for replacement

I was planning to do all 1/8" material for my 740 headliner replacement, but want to know if anyone knows of any problem with me doing 1/4" on the board and 1/8" on the sunroof.

Thanks!

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

If you do 1/4" on the sunroof it will bind, if you use it elsewhere it might work ok but will look funny where the trim and stuff attachers to it and you might have clearance problems putting things back together.

Reply to
James Sweet

While I am having problems seeing in my mind how 1/4 inch fabric will make any difference on the board, I am going to do it by the book and use 1/8" all around. I understand about the sunroof, but adding an extra 1/8" to the headboard and having it not fit baffles me.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

The problems you'll run into are where things like the rearview mirror and visors mount, clips that hold the back end of the headliner in, and the trim around the sunroof. If it's too thick it may work, but some things may not fit quite right. You have to use 1/8" on the sunroof anyway, why not use it all around?

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, it's a done deal. I picked up the fabric today - 3 yards of 1/8" Light Parchment. The wife and I ran through a few practice drills and when my sphincter relaxed a bit, I applied the glue. As we waited the

1-3 minutes for the glue to get tacky, I reminded my wife of the strategy:

"Don't pull up then down. Don't pull down then up. Don't look over the cloth. Don't let the middle sag, keep your hands apart! (Wait, am I talking about headliners or sex?)

Wait for me, don't get ahead of me. I'll set the pace.Then we did it, and it looks great.

(You know, does kinda sound like sex....LOL)

I was nervous, but it's set and trimmed and tomorrow I shall install the headliner and trim and then do the sunroof.

Whew!

Reply to
Jamie

Headliner is back in -- whew! Tomorrow is the sunroof installation.

Reply to
Jamie