DSTC system

We are looking for a car for our son. For safety reasons, we are limiting our search to Volvos. We came across some information about the DSTC system available as an option on some models. Does anybody have real-life experience with this system? Does it work as advertised? What about maintenance issues?

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

"Kytis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@news.kolumbus.fi...

Like with computers - never turn off brain.exe, even if you have the latest antivirus software. Viktor

Reply to
franz47

Like others have said, technology should never be a substitute for good/safe driving habits. However DSTC may give your son the extra bit of assistance to avoid a nasty situation. It DOES do what it is intended to do. Put it this way, you will notice a difference in the way the car performs if you turn it off.

There is a good write up about the technology and it's various guises in wikipedia..

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

I purchased a 2005 V70 2.5T AWD and there is no option to disengage the DSTC on this one. I see no reason to disengage it though, why would anyone need to to do ?

Lorenzo

Reply to
Lorenzo Sandini

I agree with the comments of others that DSTC is no substitute for safe driving skills. I'm concerned that a teenager might use it as an excuse to push the car to it's limit and get himself in trouble. DSTC and similar systems are unfortunately marketed by many car makers including Volvo as tools that allow you to get away with risky moves in snowy or slippery conditions. ABS and STC on the other hand are in a sense more defensive systems and well worth looking for on a used car.

A Volvo is an excellent choice for a new driver My daughter got excellent service from one while away at college.

Reply to
Roadie

"Roadie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

..and especially innocent people who happen to be around..

Viktor

Reply to
franz47