Interchangeability of Volvo rims

Hi all,

It's winter season here now (hurray, snow driving!) and I have a full set of 15" steelies with new snows left over from my 240. My 1995

850GLE has 16" rims and it *is* a bit lowered. Other than clearance can anyone think of why I might choose not to put these rims/tires on my car?

Also, does the 850 bolt pattern also include an addtional pin between two of the bolts? I remember trying to fit the "Special Spare" on my

760 and it wouldn't go because the rim didn't have a hole for this additional pin. I don't recall if the steelies had that pin hole but maybe the Virgo rims I have lying around would be a better choice?

Making any move regarding snows at this time of year (busy garages) requires decisive action. I can go and tell them to transfer the snows to the Virgos and mount them but I'd like to know if that's even possible before istart rolling tires to and from the car.

Thanks for your consideration, blurp

Reply to
blurp

The bolt pattern is the same, aside from the first year of the 850 which used 4 bolt rims, but the offset is different in the FWD cars so the rims are not interchangeable without hokey spacer plates.

Reply to
James Sweet

So, if I understand you correctly, the offset of my Virgo rims off the

240, for example, will not be right on the 850. Is that on the front AND the back? The current rims are the Volvo Turbo (like these:
Is there any safety issue associated with the spacers? Are the spacers a generally available part or is this something Volvo-specific?

Nothing is ever easy.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

You need spacer plates to put 850 rims on a 240, if you put 240 rims on an

850, they'll stick out too far. All the wheels are identical so the offset does not vary from front to rear.

Spacers are a custom made part, there are some safety concerns with them, as well as wheel bearing wear, but some have run them without problems, in this case though it sounds like you're considering the opposite swap so spacers won't help.

Reply to
James Sweet

So I guess I won't be using my 240 rims any time soon. I've since been told that the same bolt pattern and offset can be found on the Ford Taurus and Mercury Cougar so cheap steelies might still be found!

Thanks James.

blurp

Reply to
blurp

First problem you'll run into is the lug studs aren't long enough. Wanna pull the hubs and press in longer studs?

Reply to
clay

Some of the spacers have their own studs, they're offset from the holes that bolt to the existing studs. These are for putting 850 rims on a 240/740 though, not the other way around. 200/700 rims will likely rub the wheel wells if installed on an 800 series.

Reply to
James Sweet