keyless remote fob '01 V70 XC

Hi

My wife sent her remote fob through the clothes wash.....it's now clean but doesn't work. Volvo dealers (2) want $167 + $45 (software) + $45 (labour) + taxes = $300 +/- in Vancouver BC. Naturally they don't think much of ebay purchases and issue all sorts of warnings, concerning their ability to program one brought in from "questionable" sources. The threat is that if they can't program it the $100 for software and labour still stands, plus the cost for the unit through ebay. Has anyone had any actual experience with taking in a used or ebay-new one into a dealer....and how did it work out?

Thanks Gerry

Reply to
gerry

I am interested in this also, my wife just lost her keys w/remote. We have a spare key and am interested in the eBay remote route. Is the software a one shot deal; if they try to program the remote and it fails is the software used up or can they program a new remote with it? I know you need to match up the frequency code and part numbers.

Glenn????????

Reply to
Allen

The remote needs to have two codes in order to program these codes are matched to each remote if the seller on E-bay is just selling you the remote without any codes that match the remote then you are just wasting your money. As for charging you the cost of software they should not as if the remote has no codes then there will be no software download to your wagon if the codes do not match the remote then the dealer has the right to charge you for the software download & the cost of labor. In my professional opinion I would bite the bullet & purchase from the dealer . If you chose the E-bay route then make sure that if the remote does not function you are able to have your purchase price refunded to you. Glenn Klein Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Allen: I hope that Glenn's informative answer helps you, too. I have no experience in this area. Looks like an expensive item though.

Regards, Gerry

Reply to
gerry

Hi,

Have you tried removing the covers and washing it out with clean water then blow out excess water and leave to dry overnight in a warm place. This worked for me. You have nothing to lose.

Dave G

gerry wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Thanks Gerry, I was hoping for a less expen$ive way too.

Allen

Reply to
Allen