Mondeo Mk3 Clutch/Flywheel

Hello All, I wonder if the gathered brains of the forum could answer a few questions for me:

1) Is the Mk3 (2001-) Mondeo with 1.8/2.0 Duratec HE engine always fitted with a dual-mass flywheel (DMF)?

2) Is the failure of a DMF likely to have been caused/accelerated by a very hot clutch?

3) Is there any good way to confirm a failure of the DMF without having to split the engine/gearbox?

4) I see from the forum and elsewhere that DMFs generally have a bad name, but is anyone aware of common DMF problems with this Mondeo variant?

The reason I ask is that I managed to rather overcook the clutch on my car by having to reverse a long way up a rather steep, very narrow road in South Wales (after it turned into a track with no advance warning or turning space), and every since there has been a rattle from the clutch area which seems to be somewhat engine-speed dependant and very dependant on the torque through the clutch. The clutch, paradoxically, continues to work fine.

I initially thought that I might have broken a clutch driven plate damper spring, but now I'm wondering whether the high clutch temperature has caused the elastomeric material in the DMF to separate, allowing the two parts of the flywheel to rattle against each other. Assuming the car

*does" have a DMF, that is!

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan.

Reply to
Jonathan
1) yes 2) yes 3) there is a long winded tsb about them but usually ends up renewing it 4) very common on 2.4 rwd transits and some mondys

as you say it rattles on start-up. when the box is out the outer mass must not turn by any more than 3 teeth on the inner mass (with the clutch off )also check the inner boss for separating (try to pull outwards)and listen for rattles while doing this

good luck

Reply to
ford_technical_

Hi,

well I seem to have the same problem with my late 2001 2.0 HE- went to garage yesterday and guy said that he was 98% sure a new DMF was the solution with a bill of =A3800 to do the work!. However have checked in my Ford TIS disc ( as obtained from e-bay) and based on the cars identification plate code plate it says my 5 speed manual transmission trans axle is a MTX-75 looking at the diagram this is NOT a DMF but a conventional flywheel - note the 3.0 litre does use a DMF (at least according to the Ford technical manual.) - I put this to the garage who said they based the info on quoting my car registration (not chassis number) to the parts supplier?

Got a second opinion today and the guy said the only way to be sure was to open her up. He also suggested I contact the local Ford dealer tell them I had a 51' plate Mondeo with clutch problems as they (Ford) had a lot problems with this issue on this model and might do the work for free even tho the car is long out of warranty. Have not tried yet seems a long shot.

Anyone know better?

Reply to
Ian