lousy steering

1990 240 wagon. Sluggish movement of steering wheel. No smooth return of steering wheel after right or left turn. Stiff kind of jerky like three step motion to turn with literally no correction of steering wheel. No fluid leaks and reservoir is full. Pulled Pwr steering pump from my 85 parts car that worked fine with no leaks, for replacement. 85 said to use brake fluid for pump. 90 says use proper fluid. Does the 90 take brake fluid and if not can I just drain and use the 85 pump. Also can I flush the whole system if I just hang the return line into a container and keep pouring in the proper fluid while turning wheel back and forth with the car running.
Reply to
jacktheboy

One or both steering universal joints are starting to bind up.

Reply to
Mike F

I am getting an grinding, binding noise at the steering wheel, sounds as if it is right at the joint of the wheel and the cover for the signal lever. I know there's a knukle just outside the firewall and one down by the rack. How do you check for binding and figure out which one is bad.

Reply to
jacktheboy

Before you think about replacing it, squirt synthetic motor oil into both joints, turning the wheel to work it in. Then give it a couple of days to work. That fixed our balky steering joint, about

5 years ago.
Reply to
Michael Cerkowski