Message "Performance Reduced" 2001 V70XC

Hi;

2001 V70 XC The text window is showing a message "Performance Reduced" that can be cleared, but it eventually returns. There is no reference in the manual to such a message. Anyone had the same message....and knows what it means?

Thanks, Gerry

Reply to
gerry

Had the similar message from the computer last summer. Well, it said "moottorin tehot alhaalla", but that's because the language setting is Finnish :) And boy, could I tell that the car just barely grawled forward. Performance was really down!

Anyway, we were driving in the mountains south of Munich, Germany and it was very hot in deed. Our 2001 V70 2,4T had shown earlier some weird symptoms, such as cruise control dropping off etc. (which we learned later, is a precautionary measure so that the engine won't get damaged, when there is a bigger fault in the system).

As I have mentioned in this newsgroup earlier, we then had to replace ETM, airflow mass meter(?) AND the entire gearbox. My lucky guess is, that the reason why the computer gave the msg above, was a combination of a very hot weather, high altitude and the fault in the car (ETM and/or airflow mass meter).

I'd suggest that you take your car to the service and demand them to investigate all systems. After our car's gearbox let go last summer ( which was really unbelieveable after only 40,000 kms), the car sat in the garage in Finland. Initially, according to the service computer everything seemed to be ok. Not even faults recorded in the system! But luckily there was this one engineer, who had been blessed with the gift of using one's brain. He found out that ETM and that stupid sencor needed to be replaced. And guess what! Fuel consumption dropped to a level it had never been. Thus the car had been faulty from the day one. It goes without saying that now it's in 101% condition.

There are known issues with 2001 V70's, so please get them fixed, if you want to keep your car in driving condition. Don't trust the first engineer, if he tells you that there's nothing wrong with your car (when they plug it in to a service computer in an authrorized dealer). Happened to us, and it was really interesting to learn later on, that the guys with same knowledge (supposedly) and same service bulletins here in Berlin were not able to locate all the faults in our car.

Good luck!

Reply to
Kytis

This is the equivalent of the check engine or lambda light going on. What it is trying to say is the problem is bad enough so that turbo boost will be limited to a very low value, which limits power. There are dozens of things that could cause this problem, you should be able to read the trouble codes with an OBD-II compatible reader, which will point you in the correct direction.

Reply to
Mike F