V70XC timing belt replacement

Hello to all

My 2001 V70XC just crossed the 160,000 km mileage level. The recommendation in the manual is for a timing belt replacement. I was going to try to squeeze a little more time out of it in favour of new tires and some suspension work, but I read in a forum somewhere that even the 160k figure might be overly generous, and that failure well before that level is not uncommon. I know that belt failure can be a catastrophic occurrance with these cars so now I'm becoming a little paranoid.

Would like to hear from anyone with an opinion on the subject.

Thanks,

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

I would have thought that it was a 'no-brainer'!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I agree!

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I'd say you've been living on borrowed time for the last year or two. Doesn't your manual say anything about '160,000 km OR six years, whichever comes first'?

Rubber parts can fail due to simple old age, even with minimal wear. My '95 850T has just gone over 87,000 km but it is on its _third_ timing belt.

The fact is, you don't _even_ want that belt to break.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

"Gerry" schreef in bericht news:K_e2m.2446$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad...

I know a pesomn with a V70 diesel-engine (125.000 km timing belt replacement) Broken belt at 115.000 km => revision engine => 5000 euro (with mouting =>

build old out ad revision inn) !!!!!!!!!

consider no further => renew now immediately !!!. (my own S80 petrol 160.000 km timing belt replacement => changed at 120.000 km precaution)

Suc6.

xx

Reply to
<xx>

Of all the things you could try to squeeze a little more life out of, the timing belt on an interference motor should be the last. If that belt breaks, the car is essentially totaled. Figure $5K-$8K for an engine rebuild or replacement.

Reply to
James Sweet