Military Volvos - Sugga

A friend of mine (an 850 T5 driver) is looking at buying some sort of smaller ex-military vehicle. He already has a Landrover, now he fancies a Volvo Sugga

Anyone have any experience of them ? How about the Laplander, the other ex-mil Volvo ?

Andy Dingley

If this is the same as the C300 series, they were also used for non-military purposes. I've seen them used as ambulances, and UN personnel vehicles in Botswana and maybe Rhodesia. This was in the middle 1970's - and I was very young then.

If you can't find a suitable C300 in England, maybe you can interest your friend in a Pinzgauer 710K. I think the British military used them, so it might be easier to find one ....

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

It's not the 303 series(which I like MUCH better) - it's the original

1950's Volvo Jeep - a real rarity.

It's not as good as a 300 series offroad, though, and lacks even the most basic amenities.

Joseph Oberlander

Thank you for the explanation. I definitely haven't seen the Laplander; I'm afraid it precedes me by a decade.

Most of Zimbabwe/Rhodesia was not regular roads, especially in the West provinces like Matabeleland (toward the Botswanan border). These C300 trucks used to handle that terrain - I don't remember seeing one broken down by the side of the road, and I remember seeing Landrovers with broken axles.

The other trucks were these Mercedes knock-offs they brought from India. They were called Tatis. Kind of looked like German army trucks from WWII.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Excellent Photograph, anyone got one of the Laplander ?

Regards, Brian.

Reply to
brian

Anyone know about the Infinitely Variable Gearbox from Torotrak Ltd. a NW U.K. Company, been under developement for some time now. Likely to hit the roads in the next year or so, would suit Volvo admirably. No gear changing, constant drive, considerable savings on fuel consumption, reported to be in the region of 10 to 20 %.

Both Ford and BMW rumoured to be considering it as well as a Japanese motor manufacturer.

see

Regards, Brian.

Reply to
brian

Yeah - the real tough stuff - they send in the 303s, Unomigs, and Pinzgauers. Check out that link above - there's a picture of the buys over in Croatia with a 6*6 and until he broke his foot, he was in third and whomping on everyone with his monster Pinzgauer.

The original mercedes trucks are also very good, as are the old Army ones.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander