Need blower for 94 - 850 Sportwagon

The blower was only running on highest speed when that gave out (in a snowstorm at -25C)...fortunately by cracking the sunroof I was able to pull enough heat off the engine to keep the windshield clear at highway speed.

I am quite sure it is the blower and not the switch but could be wrong.

Has anyone had this happen. How difficult is it to replace? Does anyone know of a post describing the fix? I had heard that a Caprice blower will fit fine and I can buy new at the local auto parts.

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
Greg

The blower is a pain to change. here is a link someone sent to me. It is in a different language, but the pictures are helpful.

Timothy Goheen

Sometimes the blower is OK, but the speed control resistor pack is bad. You can remove it from the blower housing by removing a few torx screws. It has the wiring harness going to it and has a large aluminum finned heat sink. I can't tell you how to test it. I think it costs about $90 for a replacement. You can pull it and Google the part#.

Reply to
JDG

That sounds like a good first step. I have been putting off the nasty job of complete replacement (I've resorted to driving my summer car VW Cabrio) with your suggestion perhaps this won't be so bad.

This group gets my kudos for most supportive and friendly (the VW sites are downright nasty sometimes...must say something about Volvo vs VW owners...but what does it say about me being both ?)

Reply to
Greg