Noise at 20 mph 1988 740 GL

I have a strange noise at 20 mph or below.

Symptoms. If I allow the car to free wheel down hill with the engine running I can hear what is a low rumble, one the car is above 20 mph the noise disappears.

Any ideas what this could be, it has to be something in the wheels or transmission. I like to be aware of any potential problems down the road with a car of this age.

Les.

Reply to
les.watson

You mention that it's when the engine's running... have you down the same test with the engine off? What were the results?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Flint

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Anthony Flint:

Geez, you're not serious?

The results of having no power to the steering and no way of replenishing the brake servo vacuum whilst freewheeling down hill are best not explored.

Don't do it, Les.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav