Intermittant temp readout

My temperature guage sometimes reads cold - then climbs back to mid-way where it usually sits during a run.

Any chance this might be a cheap problem?

Here's hoping!

AB '96 855 TDI

Reply to
Andrew Blackburn

Your temperature gauge isn't really a gauge - any time the engine temperature is in the range of about 80-110 C it will read in the middle. When it goes above or below this, the gauge will move quickly away from the middle. So my guess is your thermostat is failing, and the engine temperature is hovering from the cool side of normal to slightly below normal. Change your thermostat, this will eventually turn your check engine light on.

Reply to
Mike F

OK - I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reply.