Power steering leak S70

Well, I know have a sizeable leak of power steering fluid which requires a top off daily. It doesn't help that I drive 70 miles round trip to work each day.

I checked under the car while the engine was running, and the dripping seems to be coming from the driver's side about a foot away from the driver's side front tire. Is there anything significant about that area, or could it just be where a leaky hose finally flows to?

Should I get ready for a big bill tomorrow? Anything I should mention to the mechanic beforehand?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu

That's where the pressure hose connects to the rack. It could be as cheap as a loose connection, or as expensive as a faulty rack.

Reply to
Mike F

It was as cheap as a loose connection. My mechanic tightened it up for free.

But, I dr> Michael Chiu wrote:

Reply to
Michael Chiu

Lucky you.

Reply to
Mike F

When I first mentioned the leak was coming from the drivers side wheel area, his first guess was a steering rack leak. Thankfully it wasn't that since he mentioned a repair cost of $1000. Yikes.

I'll take a $450 hit any day over that. My car turns like a dream now. New bushings sure make a difference here.

Reply to
Michael Chiu

No way to tell really. In that area there are a number of causes-

There are two connections of hoses to the rack. it could be that one is loose or just needs a new gasket (each connection takes two copper washers- about $1 each and $80 labor probably- you know how that goes).

It could be a leaking hose- the return hose is probably cheap- the pressure hose is probably over $100 for the part.

If it is the rack, then get out the gold card with no limit. At Volvo the rack will be in the $600 range or more. At Pep Boys it was like $380. FCP Groton it was $190 for my car (rebuilt of course). __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.