Power steering oil level 740

I have had the 1988 for 6 years and never had to top up the power steering oil.

I noticed today that the oil is below the Min but there are no leaks.

Should the power steering oil go down over time if not why is the level low if I have no external leaks.

Reply to
Rock

Because the hoses are old, hard and they are slowly seeping fluid, or the rack end seals are seeping fluid. Most of the seepage accumulates dirt and drops into the splash pan so that unless there's a steady drip a puddle won't appear.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz

The power steering level shouldn't go down, but if you need to refill only once every 6 years, I wouldn't worry about it. A little sweating of the oil out the top of the rack is normal. Some can get by the seals in the rack and end up in the tie rod boots as well.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Rock

I had a 260 with a leaking rack end seal; the track rod boot filled with fluid and sagged, which brought the top of the boot in contact with the inner joint knuckle, pinching it between knuckle and rack tube, and puncturing it.

I put on three new boots before I figured out why they kept puncturing.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave