rear hatch lifters not lifting the gate all the way up

Hi All, I have a 04 XC90 where the rear gate isnt going all the way to the top, I have to lift it a good foot after I hit my head on it (and I keep hitting it over and over) is this a fix I can get parts for and do myself ? Can I use the existing ones but "gas" them up or something ?

Any tips appreciated ! Gaute

Reply to
Gaute

Sounds like struts and/or hinges?

Struts replacement is probably a one-person job, I'm thinking you'll need at least two strong guys to remove/reinstall the tailgate for a hinge replacement though.

and NAYY

Reply to
Wooly

I think its the struts too. know where I can get a pair or are the ones I have fixable ?

Reply to
Gaute

You can't fix them, they have to be replaced, but usually they're not expensive.

Try

failing that you can get them from a Volvo dealer but you'll pay more.

Reply to
James Sweet

Not fixable. The gas leaks out because the seals let it leak away - bad seals == new struts.

Try the URL in my response to your OP, as shown above?

Reply to
Wooly