S70 CV joint

Argh, I can't win with my car!

My right CV joint is leaking now. The boot is nice and greasy and splattered the wheel with it's goop. I've been quoted $240 for parts and labor per side, and he said the parts were $100. Does anyone know where I can get parts for less? I'd prefer to buy from fcpgroton.com, since I'm likely to buy rear shock mounts and an antenna mast from them, but I can't seem to find CV joint kits there. I've done a google search for "S70 CV joint" and didn't come up with an actual page with prices. I can't even find them on ipd for some reason. It's just not my day.

Are the prices prices pretty fair and worth just letting my usual Volvo guy do it, or should I shop around?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Chiu

Try

New inner and outer joints on a used shaft, Amsoil grease in the joints, $145 per side. It depends on the miles on your car, and how long you've gone with the boot torn. If you've got high miles, just replace the whole shaft and be done with it. OTOH, a boot kit is about $25, but if you've been without grease long, or got dirt in the joint, it'll get noisy quick.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6