CV Joint Cost

Hiya All:

I need to replace a CV joint in my 96 Civic, and figured I'd do both while I'm at it. I had planned to do it myself.

I called Honda to see what they're getting for this and he wants $181 labor and $479 parts for two remanufactured Honda full axles.

With a labor to parts ratio like that I'm tempted to just let the dealer do it. What do you guys think? Is it a total pain in the rear? I'm guessing that it'd take me 5 hours at least simpily because I've never done it before, and I tend to be methodical and thorough. $181 / 5 = $36.20/hr. I'd be saving/earning for doing it myself. At that rate I'm starting to waver and lean towards letting the dealer do it.

Someone please tell me it's really simple and I'll be happy if I did it myself! :)

Thanks!

Reply to
usmcbrat

If you're handy at all then I would recommend doing the job yourself. You can usually find remanufactured axles on ebay for a song. I think I paid around $60(shipping included) for a half axle for my '88 Accord several years ago. If you have the required tools the job ain't that tough to do.

Reply to
Headknocker via CarKB.com

The hard parts are caused by tool challenges: removing the axle nut and separating the ball joints to get the old axles out. A rented impact driver is the best way to get the nut loose, and a ball joint separator tool (NOT a "pickle fork"!) make the job a painless way to spend a couple hours per side. See

for tools that work. I lean toward remanufactured axles even though they may not last as long. They run about $100 US per side, with a $75 US core charge. $200 is a lot better than $479.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I second that notion... if nothing else for the experience.

Reply to
Alan