S70 groaning, but not on full turn

My 1998 S70 T5 makes groaning sounds when turning to the left and right, usually into parking spaces. I don't even have to go to a full turn to get the sound. Also, going a full turn is more difficult, and I think there actually is some rubbing on the tops of the tires.

Is this a suspension issue? Over the years, I've upgraded the shocks and replaced the spring seats a couple times, and each of those times required the springs to be compressed a good amount. Would all these compressions reduce the lifetime of the springs, or could this be a shock issue or something else? Incidentally, how long do stock shocks last?

Reply to
mchiu

mchiu kirjoitti:

Hi

This sound like steering. Front wheel drive limiting turning cicle so much that it will go all the way to far ends. Then it's make sqiizie sound at the end of turning limit. It also can rub to some suspension parts. Check inside front wheels and all suspension parts for wearing. Also possible You bought too wide tires.

Tero Finland

Reply to
at

I don't know about your exact symptoms - but the usual cure for groaning on full lock is to grease the lock-stops. These are fat metal 'fingers' on each swivel assembly (one per side) which come up against nylon pads on ful lock. These have to be able to slide on the nylon, as the suspension moves up and down. If they get dry, you get the groaning noise. A quick smear of grease on the nylon pads fixes the problem in less than 5 minutes.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Does this happen with both left and right turns, or only in one direction? If only one, I wonder whether something has happened to the lock-stop - allowing you to turn *beyond* full lock. That could well result in greater resistance from the steering rack - and also allow the tyre to rub against the wheel-arch.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"mchiu" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@l33g2000pri.googlegroups.com...

It's probably the bearings at the top of the Struts that have gone bad, they can easily make the noise you describe, especially at very low speed. Rub of the tires is easy to determine, just take a look in your fenderwells, there'll be a clear spot where/if the tyre makes contact - I know because my tires rub the fenderwell at full turn.

Reply to
Brian Sørup

Nope....

Reply to