Start Prevented plus haunted interior fans - 2001 V70 T5

I have two problems with this car and hoped that someone here would have suggestions:

The first is that I frequently get a message "Start Prevented" and the car will not start. If I remove the key and lock and unlock the door a few times it will start -- so far. I'm worried we'll get somewhere and it won't start.

The second is that, at times, I will come out of the house and the interior fans are running full blast. Sometimes they stop by themselves; sometimes I have to start the car.

The car has already been serviced for the fan recall and had new software loaded for power door locks that went crazy -- unlocking themselves at random times. The software load was very expensive and I don't understand why it wasn't done for free -- obviously it was a bug as delivered from the factor.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I hate to invest a ton of money in this car.

Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

Start prevented could 2 items either the chip in the key is going bad (very rare) or the ant ring is not seeing the key ( Most common ) there should a DTC set for this problem as for the fan running this is normal it's called after blow function it keeps the evaprator dry in humid tempuratures your dealer can turn this function on or off for you this has nothing to do with the fan recall hopes this helps If you want I can post the tech note about the afterblow function just ask Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Wow, that's great, thanks. Never had a car that ran the fans like that, so it was unexpected.

I always use the same key, but have two, so I'll switch keys and see if the problem goes away. If not, I'll have my answer.

Thanks!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

This is Volvo and most other car makers solution to the smell that some AC systems get when moisture is left in the system to grow bacteria, etc. Volvo gives the car time for the condensed moisture to drain out drain. Then it turns on the fans to blow the AC system dry. It works.

Reply to
Stephen Henning