Pathfinder unlocks itself

Heres a strange one with my 93 pathfinder

After you lock the doors (electric locks) often you can wait about 30 seconds and then they will unlock again. Very strange. A few times the locks have locked by themselves too. I am wondering if there is some sort of condition that is not being met so that the electrical system will allow the doors to be locked. Someone suggested moisture in the door lock timer but I checked it and it is dry. Moisture somewhere seems to be the culprit I think because it only happens in the winter time. Sometimes the door unlocks right away, and sometimes it takes considerable time.

Also, there is an electronic switch attached to the drivers side key lock lever inside the door. A magnet activates it when you turn the key. I think it might just be a signal to unlock all doors with one key. Is this correct?

Anyone know what would cause this unlocking?

Chris To e-mail me, remove all of the sevens from my address.

Chris

Reply to
chris

One guess would be that something's keeping the locks from going fully into the lock position. Whatever it is could be making the mechanism move a bit away from the lock position, causing the system to think it's being unlocked, and therefore triggering the unlock setting.

You could start by playing with the locks to see if you can find any odd behavior. Like, can you keep them locked by holding down any of the buttons? Be careful not to go through lock/unlock cycles too quickly because some systems can get confused by this. Next, I'd de-panel the doors and check for interference. The next thing might be to unplug the actuators one by one in case the problem can be isolated to one of them.

Reply to
SGrant

I will try this. Sometimes the doors take a while to unlock. I stand and wait for them several minutes, and then leave. When I come back they are unlocked.

I heard something about a lock timer, but I dont exactly know what it does.