Thinking About Selling '88 240 - Upstate NY

We have had this car for about 8 years. The previous owner used it for commuting, and to drive to Florida and back. We mainly used it for commuting until the last year or two, so most of the 160k miles are highway. I've replaced the radiator with a heavy-duty, all metal model, done the 'drill and squirt' on the fan motor (it needs it again, but isn't too bad yet), and it has a fairly new exhaust, four new Hankook tires, and a good pair of UltraGrip snows. Also new front wheel bearings, and various seals and bushings. It needs a couple more bushings in the front suspension, but it's pretty tight in warm weather.

We just don't drive the car enough, and it's starting to show. One brake caliper probably needs to be replaced, as only that wheel has a lot of wear on the pads. The driver's side seat heater no longer works. There is a moderate amount of cosmetic rust, much of which I have slower with fiber-reinforced body filler. The car is still sound, has what is now low mileage for a 240, uses no oil, and has been maintained. It has a Sony "Explod" stereo, which is kind of garish but works fine with the stock speakers. (I made pigtails to add rear speakers when I installed it.) The steering rack probably needs to be replaced, although it works ok and isn't leaking much if at all. It's just kind of stiff.

If we do decide to sell, the price will be about $1k to someone willing to bring the car back up to snuff.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

I will suggest two free methods of listing your Volvo for sale.

Craigslist will get a wide audience, but not necessarily the best price.

IPD's website offers a classified section with knowledgable prospective buyers willing to pay a fair price.

Reply to
zencraps

yea, i agree...i have had good luck on the IPD fs site....some decent volvo's that have been taken care of....just have it checked out by the local "IPD shop" as you would do any used volvo....also...you might try "v70r.com", as i picked up a sweet s80t6 for pennies on the dollar, from a "volvo person" that just got into a 70r.....

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That's the plan. I just wanted to see if there is any interest in a (relatively) low mileage 240 for a reasonable price here. This would be a good fix 'er upper car for a graduation present.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski