Timing belt

1988 740 Estate.

I have had the car for 5 years, when I bought it I had the timing belt changed that was 85000 miles ago. Should I change it again.

Reply to
noreply

yes

Reply to
L.Eggit

The belt should be replaced at 50K. If the front seals have been replaced, it should have been done then. Oil getting on the belt causes it to wear faster. If it brakes it will not hurt the engine as it is a non-intereference motor. But it could leave you stranded with a rather large tow bill.

Reply to
Rod Gray

You should have changed it some 35,000 miles ago. I would not waste any more time in having a new belt fitted complete with the idler/adjuster pulley. It would also be useful to change the water pump at the same time.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

See my post about acquiring one of these cars: the belt needs changing at 50K? Most cars go 60-80K. What makes these so special?

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Reply to
Rod Gray

Look up the official belt change interval from Volvo. So they might last a few thousand miles more, but on the other hand, they have been known to go BEFORE the official change interval mileage. It is courting disaster to overdo the change mileage.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Cheers, Peter. : >

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Reply to
Sheldon Rabin

Manual says 80,000 kms for the Volvo. which is about 50,000 miles. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
Peter