Used ECM for 2000 v70

Hello, I bought a used 2000 v70 a year ago, and four days ago I began to have acceleration problems. The dealer at first told me it was the knock sensor and replaced it, but now they claim the entire ECM needs to be replaced. I asked them if they could find me a used ECM, as hey have found other used parts in the past, and at first they agreed, but just called me back to say that a used ECM would not work because each ECM is linked to the vehicle's VIN number, and if it doesn't match the actual VIN number of the car, it will simply not function. This sounds a little suspicious to me, though not impossible. Do any of you know if I'm being fed a line?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Dan

The ECM is coded to the chip in the key, it's got nothing to do with the VIN. Volvo will probably have a database relating the VIN to what ECU is in the car.

Reply to
Mike F

No you're not being feed a line but it sounds like the electronic throttle module is what is causing your problem this is not a cheap part it does not pay to find one in a junk yard due to the labor to install the ETM

Reply to
G Klein

Just been back from my Volvo dealer in Limerick, Ireland. My V70 has been over-revving (rec-counter is at "1" when sitting in neutral) for the last week and they reckon I need a new ECM and "softwear". They want to charge me 945 EURO + 45 EURO for "softwear"; of course this excludes VAT and Labour. How could an ECM fail in this way ?

Reply to
HG