Over-revving V70 needs a new ECM ?

Just been back from my Volvo dealer in Limerick, Ireland. My year 2000 V70 has been over-revving (rev-counter is at "1" when sitting in neutral) for the last week and they reckon I need a new ECM and "softwear". They want to charge me 945 EURO + 45 EURO for "softwear"; of course this excludes VAT and Labour. How could an ECM fail in this way ?

Hugh,

Reply to
HG

This isn't over-revving, but high idle. If the idle speed is too high there could be a vacuum leak, I wouldn't be so quick to replace the ECU.

Reply to
James Sweet

Probably what's happening is the electronic throttle is failing. This is a common symptom of an even more common problem, and software has to be loaded to tell your fuel computer about the new throttle module.

Reply to
Mike F

What is the potential damage (if any) of ignoring this for the moment (for the next 1 thousand miles).

Reply to
HG

There's no potential for damage except external. The throttle unit may stop working completely, if it happens in the wrong place you could be stranded, or even in an accident.

Reply to
Mike F