V50 oil pan cracked

I have a cracked oil pan , due to going over a drainage dip in a road. Only a very slight bump and ..POW!! $1000 repair.. I think that either the pan is too weak to sustain slight abrasion or the suspension sucks or Volvo need to add protection. Any comments please?

Reply to
motor man

This happened to me (960 but basically the same engine), but when driving over a rough road with rocks protruding. I repaired it with silicone sealant and 5 years later it is still fine. If your crack is amenable to repair this way, drain the oil, clean the surface VERY carefully (I used sand blasting) and seal it with a thick layer of sealant feathering it out to an inch or more back from the crack.

I can't comment much on protection, but low profile tires (particularly if under-inflated) wouldn't help.

Ross

motor man wrote:

Reply to
Ross G

No cars build today, besides 4x4 models, will take that kind of treatment. Oil pans today are aluminium and doesnt accept a hit from a hard object. Lucky you saw it in time, so you didnt drive the engine with no oil. Some Volvo models have an option of an under engine cover, perhaps thats possible.

Greetings Niels.

Reply to
Niels Bengaard