V70 noise

Our 2001 Volvo V70 has just started making a whining/clattering sort of noise with the ignition on but not with the engine on. it seems to be coming from the front nearside area of the engine compartment, in front of the fuse box area by an air assembly of some sort. It is some sort of

motor I guess.

All the things are off inside - eg aircon, which i thought it might be something to do with.

Any ideas?

Thx

E.

Reply to
eastender

Does this happen when you first turn the ignition on, when the engine is cold - or only when you turn the engine off after a run? If the latter, might it be the electric fan on the radiator, which sometimes keeps going for a while after the engine has stopped?

Your term "nearside" is dependent on whether it's a RHD or LHD car! Please define which side you mean in terms of right or left when facing in the direction of forward travel, or somesuch.

Reply to
Roger Mills

It happened this morning for the first time from cold on the way to work. I haven't started it again yet but it's loud enough to hear in the car and alarmed me enough to open the bonnet (hood). It was OK yesterday. It's a RHD car in the UK, and it's a 2.4 petrol engine.

E.

Reply to
eastender

I get the same noise, but only after washing the windscreen on the previous usage. In my case, it's the headlamp wiper parking itself correctly. When I wash the windscreen the N/S (UK car) headlamp wiper parks in any old position and corrects itself when the ignition is turned on before I start the engine. Must fix it some day as that's the one that's easy to get at.

Take a look at the front of the car before you next start it.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Having slept on it, i thought you should check the headlamp leveling motor on that side also. With ignition on both headlights check their positions relative to what the levelling switch is telling them.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah, yes it does appear to be the wipers, on both sides now. but the motors stay on and the wipers don't move i think. They are facing outward - is the park position inwards?

E.

Reply to
eastender

E.

Not on mine, they park against the stops on the outwards side of the headlamps, at the base of the light.

If the motors are on and the blades aren't moving, is the nut done up tight? (Oh, Ah Matron :->)

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Hmm, so they are parked as yours are. Why on Earth would the motors turn on when the ignition key is turned to the first stop?

E.

Reply to
eastender

E.

I expect that when power is enabled to a motor and the motor isn't at its home position (in the 'park' segment of the rotor) then it will try and move to that position.

If this happens every time the ignition is moved to 'accessories', have you tried getting someone else to turn the key while you have a look under the bonnet / front bumper until you isolate where the sound is coming from? It might be, as Tim suggested, that it's the headlamp leveler.

The only way to be sure is to keep listening until you've identified the source.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Richard Cole wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, it is the wiper motors - garage says they were knocked back by an impact. This is correct - a bread van shunted our parked car a month ago - so this must be a delayed reaction. I should be able to extend the insurance claim (garage wants £98 + £60.50 labour for each motor and says there is no repairing them).

E.

Reply to
marcb