V70XC Tail Gate

I am having problems opening the tailgate on my wagon. When I use the remote, all the doors unlock, but the tailgate stays shut. I do not hear the gate lock engaging. Can it be the main relay that is malfunctioning or is the locking mechanism? I am not willing to start to buy replacement parts indiscriminately and the nearest dealer is about 150 miles away.

Thank you,

Cristian Radaneata

Reply to
Cris Radaneata

Isn't there a little button that looks similar to the child protection in the rear doors?

I believe there is such a thing on my V70.....

Don't know.... I would check that before driving for three hours!

Rgrdz Potty

Reply to
Potje

In the user's manual for my '99 V70 it says that if you remove the key from the tailgate lock while it's rotated to the horizontal position, the tailgate is removed from the central locking operation - which sounds like what you describe. If you leave the cylinder in the vertical orientation, the tailgate is part of the central locking.

Now, it does not work this way on my car. The cylinder does not rotate to the horizontal, and the key can be removed only when it's vertical. So, perhaps this will be useful to you, but I cannot say that I've seen it in action.

(I'm assuming this represents variability within a model's assembly. Does Volvo have a rep for this? VW apparently does. I have the prior owners' service records and there is no indication that work was ever done on the tailgate.)

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C