Volvo 850 tail gate lock

Does anyone have any advise on how i might get my tailgate open on my 1995 850 estate. I have always just used the key fob to operate the central
locking but that just seems to now want to unlock the car except for the tail gate. I also dont have a key and the internal lever seems to do nothing. Please help

I use the ignition key. The internal lever needs to be fixed. That is a safety item. Here are a few old posts:
"I've seen something similar once. Removing the mechanism showed that the rivets holding the two halves of the lock together had loosened up. Banging them a few times with a hammer and heavy punch tightened the rivets and restored proper function. I hope this works for you." Mike F. Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
"My tailgate lock was dodgy when I got it. Couldn't unlock it electrically, and could only sometimes unlock it with the key. The electric device made sounds, just didn't unlock the door. I pulled the upholstered panel off and found this inside:
http://blizzard.zmm.com/volvolock.jpg The problem was that rod going toward the top left corner. It threads into the white piece in the middle and just needed to be adjusted a bit to keep the other parts from jamming. I don't remember the exact operation of the thing any more; it took a little examining at the time to figure out which piece was supposed to do what, but it wasn't rocket surgery." Ernest Scribbler
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '01 Volvos.

Site Timeline