Volvo 440 idle problem

Hi, A few weeks ago on a cold morning the idle revs went down to about 500 then up to 2000, and continued to pulse between the two. The problem went away but has now reoccured, but as well as pulsing between 500 and 2000 rpm it sometimes sticks at 2500 rpm. The engine is the 1.8 litre single point injection unit, and after looking at the Haynes maual it appears to be the B18U engine. Could it be the idle control motor?. any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou in advance. Shane

Reply to
shane

Check all connections to earth first, especially the one hidden below the battery

Reply to
M-gineering

I had this problem exactly on a 1.8 1995 440S - it had a new idle control which mostly fixed the problem. Another thing to try (which my mum told me after I'd spent a few hundred pounds on mechanics!) is to try "quality" petrol rather than supermarket stuff. That makes a very big improvement.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Carter

Thankyou for you advice, I have checked for any breaks in the wires to the idle control motor, and for any earthing problems, and they are ok, so I have purchased a new idle control motor which I will fit tomorrow. I tend to use a mixture of branded fuel, and supermarket fuel to reduce the risk of fuel problems. Shane

Reply to
shane